Pigmentation, also known as ‘hyper-pigmentation’, is caused by Melanocyte which is the cell that produces our skins colouring. Often Melanocyte can become aggravated or stimulated causing it to become inflamed and overproducing Melanin, the pigment in skin. The pigment then transfers to our surrounding skin cells which can present as coloured, dark spots on the skin’s surface. Essentially, it is brown discolouration that comes in the forms of sunspots, age spots, melasma and/or freckles,
How to combat hyperpigmentation:
Hyperpigmentation is harmless, however, if it affects your confidence there are a range of treatments and methods that can be done to help minimise the appearance of dark spots.
To prevent and stop it from becoming more prominent you should try to avoid exposure to the sun. We can’t stress enough the importance of using SPF every day. When applying SPF ensure that it is an SPF higher than 30. This will not only protect the skin, but also stop hyperpigmentation from progressively getting darker.
Topical creams are a popular option to help brighten the appearance hyperpigmentation. Topical treatments generally include ingredients that assist in brightening the skin, such as:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A (Retinol)
- Azelaic Acid
- Kojic Acid
- Salicylic Acid
- AHAs e.g. Glycolic Acid, Mulberry Extract and Licorice Root
We highly recommend the Cosmedix Simply Brilliant 24/7 Brightening Serum that eliminates dark spots and pigmentation for more evenly-toned and radiant skin.
Cosmetic procedures are a more intensive yet effective approach to target hyperpigmentation, our recommended in-clinic treatments include:
- Pico Fx & Pico Genesis Laser Treatment: Uses photoacoustic energy to reach deep into skin and shatter unwanted skin pigmentation, like unwanted brown patches, melasma, age spots, sunspots, acne scars and surgical scars.
- Skin needling: Stimulates the skin to regenerate and repair itself naturally; creating smoother, brighter, healthier and younger-looking skin
- Timeless Peel: This chirally corrected AGP Complex peel stimulates significant cell turnover. Resulting in smoother, denser, more hydrated skin. This peel works well for addressing fine lines and wrinkles, photo damage by brightening, tightening and perfecting the skin.
- Vampire Facial: Scientifically proven to refresh, tone and tighten the skin by repairing the elasticity, colour and quality of the skin.
To enquire about any of our products or procedures at the bySTELLA Skin Clinic contact us today!